Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The First Day..

It has to be one of my FAVORITE days, the day we get a new foster.  I'm excited, nervous, feeling a bit challenged, and antsy waiting for their arrival and then of course, "How is this going to work?"  Which usually is answered after a few days and us all more or less figuring each other out.  Now, I am as previously stated a TOTAL animal lover(as long as it doesn't slither I'm good!) so the idea that a little baby puppy is going to be at my door step in a matter of a few hours is like Christmas Morning for a 5 year old!  So I kept myself busy playing with my 2 other pups, and picking up in the backyard when I get the call from our secuirty gate. 
Security Guard: "Phil with Barks of Love is here"
Me:  "LET HIM IN QUICK!!"

At which point I run inside, try to make myself mildly presentable and by the time I run outside there is Phil getting out of this truck!  I walked..as fast as I could to avoid running and looking even odder..to his car and there on the passengar seat is the smallest little puppy I've ever seen in person!  Phil picked him up and while talking to me a little about him, which I admit I was only mildly listening too, I interupted only to say, "can I please hold him."  Paitence is not always one of my virtues.  The moment that puppy hit my hands, I melted.  All 3 pounds and 9 ounces of little boney legs, and bloated belly were just to much to handle!  Phil explained that he had asked a girl at Petco what to name him she had said, since he had a scar down his back like a mohawk he should be called NoHawk.  We continued to talk and now I was listening.  Little NoHawk had been brought into the shelter by a man who saw another dog in an abandoned lot.  The man approached the other dog, which we guessed was his father, and out came this little cutie pie with a big old scar down his back. 

You see shelters don't have the rescources for pup's like this, they do their best(some of them do) but they rely on rescues to pull these pups.  The Shelter had been feeding NoHawk puppy food but had notated he got sick almost everytime.  Usually this means they have a little dose of puppy worms so a little dewormer and he would be fine.  Turns out he didn't have worms at all but I'll tell you that in a minute.  Anyways, after holding this sleepy pup in my arms for about 10-15 minutes I interupted Phil 1 more time to say, "Phil, I think I'm going to keep this one."  He laughed and said,  "A boy might do your girls some good," he told me to think on it, "fosters always get first pick." 

We migrated to the garage, watched him literally wobble on 4 feet and decided the shelter was off their rocker about his age.  He was just getting his little teeth in and couldn't walk a straight line if he was at a DUI checkpoint!  So our guess was 4-5 weeks old.  I also discovered he LOVED food..too much in fact but the problem was his little stomach wasn't ready to process it.  So I went to work, overboiled rice, red potato's, boiled chicken and some of his food (very little) mixed in. 

The glorious thing about a puppy that age is they play for a little bit and sleep and cuddle most of the time.  You really have to just enjoy every minute because in 2 weeks they want to be rompin' with the big boys.  So squeeze him I did(in my best yoda voice), I would crank up the A/C so that I could wear a sweatshirt and tuck him inside wrapped in a blanket.  The first few days, you would have thought I was a kangaroo, he came with me everywhere.  And so came his new name, my little Buddy...


No comments:

Post a Comment